Bachelor of Science in Photography with a minor in General Business, Sam Houston State University, Huntsville, Texas, December 1994. Overall GPA 3.37. Major GPA 3.86. Primary areas of study: Zone System, Digital Imaging, Commercial Studio Methods, Portraiture, Lab Operations, Medium and Large Formats, Architecture, and Color and Black-and-White Printing.
Photography Instructor Santa Fe Photographic Workshops, Santa Fe, New Mexico. April 2004 - Present. Teach weeklong photography workshops. Teach one-on-one workshops. Co-instructor for Kodak workshop (May 2005) and National Geographic workshop (July 2005 and March 2007). Types of photography: color, black-and-white, digital, traditional film and Photoshop CS3.
Photography Instructor Continuing Education Program, Santa Fe Community College, Santa Fe, New Mexico. Fall 2001 - Present. Teach Digital Photography-The Camera, Digital Photography-The Computer, Adobe Photoshop CS3, Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0, Learn to Love a Mac and Intro to Macintoch classes. Prepare classroom lectures and demonstrations. Major topics include: How Digital Cameras Work, Choosing the Right Digital Camera For You, Basic Photography Principles, Editing and Archiving Digital Images, Preparing Images for the Internet and Printing.
Commercial Photographer Owner of Steven W. Walenta Photography, LLC. August 2000 - Present. Commercial photography and digital imaging services including flat art and tabletop photography, film and print scanning, digital printing and photo restoration.
Digital-Imaging Specialist Andrew Smith Gallery, Santa Fe, New Mexico, August 31, 1999 - August 2007. Generate, catalog and archive digital image data files. Organize and maintain over 18,000 color film negatives. Daily duties: Scan film and flat art. Photograph art at copystand utilizing a high-resolution digital camera. Edit and prepare digital images for press releases, advertisements and promotional mailers. Compile images and archive data to compact disc, additional hard drives and/or DVD discs. Create promotional compact discs in HTML language. Transfer data to and from the Internet using FTP. Assist in building and updating the gallery's website. Maintain the gallery's computer network and internal server. Major applications used: Adobe Photoshop, Image Ready and Go Live, Quark XPress, Roxio Toast, Extensis Portfolio and Dantz Retrospect.
Imaging Presentations Coordinator Santa Fe Photographic and Digital Workshops, Santa Fe, New Mexico. June 8, 1999 - March 2000. Produced audio/visual presentations for workshop participants and the general public. Responsiblities included: setting up and maintaining 35mm and medium format slide projectors, LCD projection systems, infrared remotes, overhead projectors, Macintosh PPC CPU’s, TV/VCR hook-ups, photo CD players and amplified sound systems.
Medical Photographer II Media Resources, College of Veterinary Medicine, Texas A & M University, College Station, Texas. January 30, 1995 - June 3, 1999. Was responsible for all photography services offered by Media Resources. Duties: Managed all work requests and supervised three employees. Photographed animals, specimens, demonstrations, etc. for documentary purposes, teaching applications and publications. Chief photographer and photo editor for a four-color magazine with a circulation of 10,000 and an internal magazine with a circulation of 1,500. Supplied images to the College of Veterinary Medicine newsletter. Annually photographed all faculty and students of the College. Arranged all meetings and photo shoots. Photographed and/or videotaped special events and programs. Provided digital services such as image manipulation, film scanning, and file transfers via the Internet. Created teaching slides by performing copystand work, slide duplication and processing, and converting radiographs to 35mm slides. Served on College committees. Calculated inventory and ordered equipment and supplies.
Photography Instructor Texas A & M University and the city of College Station, Texas. September 1995 - June 1999. Taught photography classes under the creative activities program University Plus and the continuing education program Xtra Education. Prepared classroom lectures, demonstrations, slide shows, videos, and prints.
Stock Photographer September 1990 - June 1999. Owner of PICTURE THIS - a photography business specializing in high quality photographs. Supplied clients with images for catalogs, magazines, brochures, postcards and the walls of their homes and businesses. Built Internet website to showcase available images.
Lab Technician Proske's One Hour Photos, Brenham, Texas. May 1991 - January 1995 (Summer, Spring, and Christmas breaks). Operated C-41 film processor. Operated Fujicolor machine printer and enlarger. Handled customer service at the front counter. Processed and printed black-and-white materials.
Photojournalist Blinn College. Brenham, Texas. Fall 1990 - Spring 1991. Covered all types of school related events and activities for the college newspaper and yearbook. Processed and printed all newspaper assignments. Worked with writers and editors on image size, placement, etc.
Additional skills and capabilities
* Operate and maintain dip-and-dunk C-41 film processor.
* Operate and maintain dip-and-dunk E-6 film processor.
* Produce custom prints (black-and-white and color)
* Mount, mat, and frame photographs.
* Experienced with the use of tungsten and halogen lighting and electronic flash.
* Knowledgeable on the use of color correction filters when shooting under unusual lighting conditions.
* Have a working knowledge of 35mm, 2 1/4, 4 x 5, and digital cameras and related equipment.
* Practice the Zone System method of black-and-white photography.
* Experienced in many types of photography: digital, aerial, architectural, infrared, interior, portraiture, scenic/landscape, wildlife, candid, journalistic, documentary, panoramic, macro, and commercial.
* Produced video clips for the Sam Houston State University television station and Texas A & M University.
* Maintained university photo lab.
* Operate LogEtronics Radiographic Reducer CRT system, Marron Carrel transparency duplicating system, Chroma Pro 45 film duplicating system, plus standard copystand setups.
* Working knowledge of many application films - Kodalith ortho film, Kodak rapid process copy film, Kodak precision line film and Kodak Technical Pan film.
* Experienced in Adobe Photoshop CS5.
* Experienced in Adobe InDesign CS5.
* Experienced in Adobe Dreamweaver CS5.
* Experienced in Macintosh operating systems.
* Experienced in HTML Web design.
* President's List - Sam Houston State University, Spring 1992.
* Dean's List - Sam Houston State University, Fall 1993 and Spring 1994.
* Grand Champion - Photo Division. Washington County Fair, 1993.
* Grand Champion - Photo Division. Washington County Fair, 1994.
* Won SAAFE House photo contest, Huntsville, Texas, 1994.
* Commissioned to photograph the newly named Dan Rather Communications Building. The photograph was presented to Mr. Rather in October, 1994.
* Member of the Sam Houston Photographic Society for three years.
* Intramural flag football team captain, Fall 1992.
* Intramural softball team captain, Spring 1993 and Spring 1994.
* President's Award - Texas Center for Photography, 1995.
* Received an Award of Achievment from the International Association of Business Communicators (IABC) of Brazos Valley, May 1997. Category was Computer Enhanced Photo.
* Received an Award of Excellence from the IABC of Brazos Valley, May 1997. Category was Single Photograph.
* Received a Brazos Bravo Award from the IABC of Brazos Valley, May 1997. Category was Most Improved Four-Color Magazine.
* Received the Best of Show (Photography) award at the 1997 Round Top Arts Festival.
* Photograph on display at the George Bush Presidential Library in College Station, Texas, 1997-98.
* Twenty two star trail photographs exhibited at the Santa Fe Community College, Fall, 2008.
* Image selected for the Negative Space Exhibition at The Center for Fine Art Photography, January 9 - February 7, 2009.
* Two page spread about star trail photography, Texas Live magazine, April, 2009.
* Front cover and inside story, Steppin' Out magazine, May, 2009.
* Five framed prints on one year loan to Santa Fe Community College, May, 2009.
* Leader of Worldwide Photowalk in Brenham, Texas, July, 2009.
* Earned the Certified Professional Photographer (CPP) designation from the Professional Photographic Certification Commission, March, 2010.
* Became a volunteer photographer and retouch artist for Now I Lay Me Down to Sleep (NILMDTS), May, 2010.
* Leader of Worldwide Photowalk in Santa Fe, New Mexico, July, 2010.
References, Portfolio and Tearsheets are available upon request.